Geography is the study of the earth’s landscapes, peoples, places and environments. Geography is unique in bridging the social sciences (human geography) with the natural sciences (physical geography), (environmental geography) environments in which they living.
Simply Geography definition
“Geography is the study of places and the relationships between people and their environments”
As a social science, geography includes the nature and distribution of the past and current human impacts on the Earth’s surface and on other humans.
Human geography concerns the understanding of the dynamics of cultures, societies and economies. Physical geography concerns the understanding of the dynamics of physical landscapes. Environmental geography is most active collaboration between human and physical, as relationships between environments and societies in places.
Geography puts this understanding of social and physical processes within the context of places and regions – recognizing the differences in cultures, political systems, economies, landscapes & environments across the world and the links between them
Geography informs us about:
- The places and communities in which we live and work
- Our natural environments and the pressures they face
- The inter-contentedness of the world and our communities within it
- How and why the world is changing, globally and locally
- How our individual and societal actions contribute to those changes
- How Environment effects the peoples and places around the world